08 August, 2006

Day 2

Today was a great day - I am so tired! We actually got to do some heavy lifting, which was a mixed blessing. And we found some of the difficulties associated with a house that's built by a mixed crew. (We had some mixed results with boards that should have been straight, but were anything but.)

Last night was interesting. We (myself and the 3 other H4H volunteers - Mary, Abby, and Susan) took a little trip along the coast. There were so many houses that just.. weren't - empty slabs was all that was left in many spots. Lots of people still living in trailers and plenty of homes for sale. Rebuilding has begun in many places, but it's more noticeable at the higher-income homes.

I have some good pictures, but those will have to wait until I get back. I forgot the cable for the camera. And not only that, Richard - the coordinator for the church - has been nice enough to use his laptop, but I don't feel comfortable working on it for the whole evening!

We had some great southern food the last few days. I had some red beans and rice for lunch yesterday, fried catfish last night, and then a muffaletta sandwich for lunch. (The muffaletta is of Italian original, actually. It's ham, salami, some cheese, and then an awesome olive spread topping. Oh.. so good.)

Gotta run - someone's wireless connection isn't working, so I'm going to go pretend I know what I'm doing. More soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home