12 July, 2007

Days 6-7: Vent Fan, Subfloor, and Toilet Riser

Some actual construction!

Yesterday I finished off the installation of the vent fan hood. The inner sleeve is also in place, but the fan itself won't go on until after the drywall.


I asked Scott from Mendel Plumbing and Heating if he could stop by today and be a consultant on the project, and he was kind enough to spend a half hour with me free of charge. Thanks Scott!

In addition to lots of good advice about the plumbing, Scott also mentioned that the hole in the window header isn't a problem because the floor joists (which you can see above the vent fan) run parallel to that side of the house. That means that the window header wasn't really holding anything up anyway!

I was also able to get a nice (relatively) square hole cut around the toilet flange - the wood was starting to crumble in that area. I also took the opportunity to replace the toilet flange by cutting through the cast iron (?) riser with the Sawzall - best... gift... EVER!


At this point, I noticed that the old subfloor - where they had been cut - were no longer supported by anything, so I put in some simple 2x4 cross-supports.


Finally, I installed a 4x3 banded coupling to the cast-iron and inserted a piece of 3" PVC to that.


I can't install the new toilet flange yet, because I need to first replace the subfloor with some 3/4" plywood and then install some 1/2" plywood for the underlayment. (There will be another layer of Durarock on top of the plywood before the tile.)

I'm hoping that tomorrow I can get the bathtub in place and get the underlayment in. And then hopefully over the weekend I can do all the plumbing.

Thanks for checking in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home