28 July, 2007

Days 20-23: Floor Tile

Well, panic sort of set in on Thursday as I was preparing to tile the floors, and Veronica and I decided to have Seth come back on Monday and do whatever of the job was necessary. The layout of the room and tile intricacy of a lot of the corners and joints really made the decision for us.

I was able to do the floor, though. There were a few tricky cuts, but with Seth's starting point, it all went fairly smoothly.

Here I am with the first two rows of tile laid out and ready to go. If you click on the picture, you can see more detail - there's a faint blue line running vertically which will be my guideline as I tile my way back toward the door. You'll also notice a dark pencil line horizontally, which is the guide for the first row. Every other row will just be spaced off of that with spacers.


Here's Persey doing her inspection before the last row is in.


Success!


Or not... by the last row, the thin-set had really gotten stiff and I think lost some of its adhesive properties. Also, I think the tiles were a little wet from the saw, and that moisture may have acted as a barrier with the thin-set. No huge problem, though. I just cut out the ones that didn't adhere well and then scraped out the thin-set with a standard screwdriver.


Fixed!


I'm not sure if I'll try anything tomorrow (Sunday) or not. At this point, I have to stay off my patches for a few hours at least to let everything set. I may go back in later tonight and work on the layout for the wall tiles. Seth and I had a plan on Tuesday, so I can at least set things up according to that plan.

Hopefully Seth and I can get all the wall tile set on Monday, and then I can grout on Tuesday, get everything finished on Thursday, and celebrate with a shower in the new bathroom on Friday! (Hey, a guy can dream, right? Just because nothing else has gone according to plan...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home